Tuesday, July 26, 2011

2 days 'til 45

(Won't pretend I tried to write this yesterday. I was tired enough to sleep for more than 4 or 5 hours. When that happens, I have to sleep).

When I was a kid in junior high, I discovered Erma Bombeck. I think my mom bought her book, The Grass Is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank, because she thought the title was funny. I had no idea what a septic tank was, but her writing made me laugh. She was a suburban housewife with a life far removed from the one I lived, yet her humor made her accessible to an urban 12 year old. I read every book that she wrote.

I wish I could write so that some kids or adults can understand my part of the world (the one I inhabit in Leander, Texas and the one that occupies my mind).

And I hope it makes them laugh.
 
 One of,my favorite quotes, sometimes attributed to Erma Bombeck, sometimes others:

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

1 comment:

  1. Very nice post and wonderful words. Thanks for the quote. Just use everything you've got and you'll be fine, too.

    Warmly,
    Rock

    ReplyDelete