Thursday, July 7, 2011

21 days 'til 45

A few years back, I took a solo trip to Arizona. I had been on group trips before and there was always one or two people who kind of dictated where everyone would go and what everyone would do. This was fine with me because most of the time I don't like to think when I am on vacation. Besides these leader(s), there was often a naysayer in the group. The one person who would go along with everyone because she (let's face it ladies, it's almost always a female) got out-voted, therefore was unhappy for most of the trip. She often confides in the go-along-to-get-along person--usually me. So vacations would equal drama.

I needed a drama-free vacation.I chose Arizona because I knew that I could take a tour bus from Phoenix to Sedona,which I heard was beautiful, and I could also see the Grand Canyon on the same tour. On the first night of my stay in the Days Inn in Phoenix, I spent time reading by the pool, finding places to eat, and talking to the girl who worked in the gift shop. I decided my day and I liked it. People would ask why I was in Phoenix and with whom. When I would say I was vacationing alone, they would be impressed. I was more impressed by two women I met on the tour bus the next day.

There are lots of people who like to "discover" places on their own and shun tour buses and tourist-y events, but I kind of like having someone tell me interesting things. Plus, you get to meet new people. I like meeting new people because everyone has a story to tell if someone will listen. I listen because I love stories. On the bus were two women who had traveled together once every year for the last 25 years. They left their husbands, children, jobs, and family obligations to take trips together. Through sickness and pregnancies, they kept their vacation times sacred, and they kept it a party of two.

I envied their friendship. When I was young, I used to read books about friends who had known each other for years and had been close for all those years no matter what. I really wanted that.

I still know people from elementary school, middle, and high school, but we do not have that kind of friendship.

I have reconnected with friends from college, but so far, it doesn't feel like that kind of close.Of course, I have my husband, but that's different. 

I have not been a good, stick around, check on you, call regularly, let's take a trip together kind of friend in the last few years. I am ready to change that. I know it is not too late.

So, if you would like to hang out with me for the next 25 or so years...

Have friendship, will travel!

1 comment:

  1. Love you! My heart would be sad if we weren't friends in 25 years, because you are truly one of my dearest friends and you have impacted my life in profound ways. I'd be up for a trip ;)

    ReplyDelete