Tuesday, July 5, 2011

23 days 'til 45

Tomorrow, July 5, is my brother Leroy's birthday. Mom once told me that he was born at 8:30 in the morning. So I have been calling him at 8:30 in the morning on his birthday, almost without fail, for as long as I can remember. When we were kids, I slapped his bottom to wake him up on his birthday. He wouldn't get mad because it was his birthday.

We always shared our birthday parties because we both were born in July. My cousins who lived close by would come over and we would have cake and lime sherbet ice cream mixed with ginger ale for drinks. I don't remember presents or cards, but I do remember the pictures we took with everyone in our little duplex smiling and eating. Then we would go outside and play. Sometimes we will ride our bikes farther away than we were suppose to, and come back to the yard as close to sundown as possible to play red light/green light, mother-may-I, and hide and go seek. So much fun. I can still see us in the dark catching lightning bugs.


I know my brother will probably be at work tomorrow when I call, and I will need to leave a message, but I am looking forward to waking up at 8:30 tomorrow and calling him to say happy birthday and feeling summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment